Thursday, October 9, 2008

Things That Make You Say Hummus

So, what do politics and a bowl of hummus have in common? Well, nothing before today of course.

This is a first in American politics. Historians, correct me if I'm wrong.

Ralph Nader will send you his mother's hummus recipe if you donate any amount with the number "3" in it ($3, $13, $23, etc.). Three is the number of lemons his mother uses in the recipe. I'm not kidding. 

"I'm sitting at home reading a Bloomberg wire report about one of my favorite foods -- hummus... Suffice it to say that my mother Rose was born in Lebanon. And she made perhaps the best hummus I've ever had. And I've had a lot of hummus. 

Hummus is nutritious. And delicious. It makes you stronger and healthier...

So, Bloomberg's report on the Lebanese claim to hummus got me to thinking about an idea that would help us raise funds to push our substantive agenda onto the front burner of American politics. 

Here it is:

If you donate to Nader/Gonazlez by midnight tonight an amount that has the number three in it (three being the number of lemons in my mom's hummus recipe), we'll e-mail to you Rose Nader's hummus recipe tomorrow."

This idea is so crazy that it might work. You know there are a lot of Republican hummus eaters out there who are willing to secretly mail in the three bucks for that wonderful recipe. Take that Senator McCain! 

The full letter can be found here on the VoteNader.Org website. Don't expect anymore hummus labels from us ever again. Eat up!

No comments: