Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Florida's Martinez Won't Run In 2010


Republicans won't be taking chances with weak candidates in 2010, even if they are incumbents. According to the St. Petersburg Times, Republican Senator Mel Martinez will not seek reelection in 2010.

Here's one good reason why.

A new Quinnipiac poll released this morning shows that just 36% of Floridians would vote for Martinez if they election were held today.

Republican Governor, Charlie Crist, will appoint a replacement if Martinez retires before his term ends.

Update

A statement from Martinez's office.
"So today, with deep love for this country and with sincere gratitude to the people who placed their trust in me, I announce that I will not run for reelection to the United States Senate.

“I thank all of those who helped me reach the highest elected office that an immigrant can hold in this great country. And I especially thank my family, who has supported me every step of the way – especially Kitty, who has sacrificed much more than me and without whom none of this would have been possible.

“Some might try to characterize this decision in terms of political affairs. Some will say a re-election campaign would have been too difficult. But I’ve faced much tougher odds in political campaigns and in life. My decision was not based on reelection prospects, but on what I want to do with the next eight years of my life.

“So with two years left in my term, I make this announcement today in order to give the many qualified individuals who might choose to try to succeed me an opportunity to organize and gather support.

“I look forward to serving out these next two years. There are big problems facing Florida and the nation, and I will continue to do what I think is in the best interests of the people whom I represent.

“Thank you; God bless you; and God Bless the United States of America.”

No comments: